I have been thinking a lot about what makes a compelling image after watching a few National Geographic videos on photography. Here are some key points:
1. Seek Emotion, especially intimacy
2. Seek careful and meaningful observations of the world around us.
3. See differently. Get out of the habit of just looking at things and learn to read the light.
4. Seeking light and shadows.
5. Seek and observe people who live within themselves.
6. Recognize the life within the picture.
7. Work in-camera
8. Develop a practice of discipline of seeing
9. Do not rely on software to make the picture for you.
10. Be patient. There is a reason they call it "still" photography.